Sunday, January 9, 2011

Five word story

This little story is almost 3 years old.  I found it while looking through my "Kate's Writing" folder on my computer.  I needed to look for something else today, as when I went to The One Minute Writer blog, she didn't have anything posted for Sunday. 

How this works is you take 5 random words, write them down, and then try to come up with a story. Elizabeth and I did this together one day.  Since she is 8 now; she was only 5 when we did this.  I am leaving all the colors and fonts as they are, since this is what she picked the day we worked on it.


Five Word Story
By
Elizbeht and Kate Kneifel

Toucan
Pine tree
Apple
Flabbergasted
Snow

The pine tree stood alone in the forest and watched the snow drift slowly to the ground.  This was not the first snowfall of the year.  The pine tree remembers the first snow fall well.  On that day a strange thing happened.  The pine tree was enjoying the brisk winter day, when all of a sudden an exasperated toucan fell out of the sky and landed with a thump in the pine trees branches.

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing there you nutty bird!” the pine tree yelled.

The toucan brushed the snow off his feathers and looked around him with a set of small marble-like eyes. “I apologize for my inappropriate landing just now.”  The toucan bowed to show his sincerity.  “You are certainly an interesting looking tree now aren’t you?  I have never quite seen anything like you!  I knew I shouldn’t but I thought just a quick swoop in to take a better look would be just fine.  But goodness, things often times end up more difficult than we originally think don’t they?” The toucan brushed a few flakes of snow off his grand yellow beak and peered into the pine trees dense branches.  “May I ask, just how is it that other birds manage to land on your branches without pricking themselves with these sharp little needles of yours. I seem to have had a bit of trouble. “ The toucan looked down at his multi-colored tuft of feathers and pushed out various pine needles that shock out at odd angles all over his body.  He watched with a wry smile they tumbled to the forest floor with a few swipes of his wing.

Without waiting for an answer to his questions the Toucan rambled on.  “I am originally from the rain forest, although I guess you knew that huh?  Probably don’t see the likes of other Toucans too often around  here I’ll bet.”
The toucan curiously examined the pine tree from the tip top to the very bottom. “ Mmmm, so you certainly are not an apple tree.  Outside of those lovely brown cones I see hanging from your branches, I do not see anything hanging from your branches.  I was so hoping to taste an apple on my travels.  They do sound just delightful!”  The toucan opened and closed his beak with a soft clacking sound, imaging the crisp juicy fruit.  Anything is better than a mango.   Goodness if I never eat a mango again that will be fine with me!”  He stretched his neck like a tired cat and took a deep breath of the cold winter air.

The pine tree had had just about enough of listening to this strange creature.  Apple tree?  Mangos?  Plus, this creatures voice seemed to be echoing throughout the entire forest, shattering the pristine quiet of the snowfall this early morning winter day.  What precisely did this rude little aviator want?
“Do you always talk this much?”  The pine tree asked.  He half expected the the toucan to be flabbergasted by such a forthright question.

Instead he looked up and said, “Oh yes!  Quite more actually.”



No comments: