Friday, January 14, 2011

Clubbin' in the Kitchen


We have a station 93.9 fm that plays all of the teeny-bop and hip-hop stuff.  This is the stuff that music buffs wouldn’t be caught dead listening to while their other high minded friends were around.  This station is like many in varying states.  They recycle the same 100 songs over and over.  I am embarrassed to admit this, but I listen to this station often.    When put it on, my inner feminist often screams in protest.  “These lyrics are offensive and degrading to women!!”  I respond to this little internal tantrum by patiently telling her to hush-up for just a minute.  I just need to dance in my kitchen.  With that, the volume goes out and my inner feminist throws up her hands in disgust stomping off to pout in a corner. 

Recently, I underwent surgery on my abdomen for an “epigastic hernia”.  You know how people say, “Geez, relax!  You’re going to have a hernia.”  Well, that’s just what I did or didn’t do.  Did get a hernia, didn’t relax.   Apparently, I over did it on the exercise ball one day and tore some fibers that attach my abdomen muscles together down the middle.  The doctor assured me that there is so way to strengthen those fibers since they aren’t muscle.  I sighed in relief, as I live in fear of being called a wimp.  What I learned from that surgery is that having your abdominal muscles sliced open really does hurt like hell as your body recovers.  You really do use your abs in everything you do.  I thought working out would protect me from some of this pain.  But apparently, bodily trauma is the great equalizer among humans, in shape or not, it’s gonna hurt.

 More importantly than the pain, I realized how much I laugh and dance each day.  After my surgery, both of these were impossible for at least five days.  My husband has the wonderful gift of making me laugh in almost any situation.  I had to instruct him time and time again to stop being funny.  As a result, life hasn’t been quite as silly as usual.  Today, exactly two weeks later, I turned on our kitchen radio and danced.   The lyrics are still terrible.  My inner feminist still turns purple in protest, she may end up with her own hernia soon…but my hips shift side to side, my head bops back and forth and my stomach only hurts just a tiny bit.  I can almost believe myself as I sing along, “…the club can’t even handle me right now! …Put your hands up!”
                                                                                                                                                               

1 comment:

Abby said...

Sorry to hear about your injury and I hope you make a full recovery. I love your writing- you always make me laugh. I like to have a dance party of 1 when I do the dishes. I recently started a new workout regimen- P90X. I did an intense core workout at the onset of a cold and for the following week every time I coughed my abs killed. Love ya Kate!