Saturday, July 5, 2008

You choose...

I admit it, I love to people watch. Observing people at my workout facility has to be one of my favorite pastimes. I’ve belonged to several different fitness centers in my day. Interesting people show up at all of them without fail. I am what you would call a regular. I join a place and regularly workout 5-6 days a week. I join the other “regulars” each day without knowing much about them. While I see these people almost daily, I find that most regulars rarely chat too much outside of the occasional, “Are you using this bench?” or “Can I work in a set real quick?” I created nicknames for different people I see each day. I often wonder what my nickname might be. I imagine something along the lines of, “The unwanted chatty girl”. I try to be friendly, but realize that many times people just want to get in, burn some calories, pump up some biceps and get out. Friendly banter does not fit into their workout schedule. Perhaps an annoyed woman complaining to her spouse, gets into her car and whines, “Oh, the chatty girl caught me and I didn’t get in my last set today!” Then again, maybe other couples don’t comment on the other patrons like Josh and I do, but I doubt it.

So, I thought I share my personal list which describes the delightfully interesting people I watch and semi-interact with on a daily basis.

  1. Super buff- almost scary woman-
  2. The military man
  3. The unwanted critiquer
  4. The beehive lady
  5. The I am worried you are anorexic woman
  6. Sunglasses Guy
  7. Sports Bra woman
  8. Creepy, Flirting man
  9. The Gas Man
  10. The My Boobs are Weapon lady

Here’s the deal readers, (all 3 of you, thanks Mom, Jenny and Aunt Patty, hopefully there are a few more). These guys are all real characters and I have personal stories regarding each one of these people.

So, here’s my brilliant plan, post a comment on the blog. Let me know your vote for which character you would like to hear more about. I’ll share the story about that particular person by next week. In case you haven’t been keeping track, I am going for one entry a week, and I post on Wednesday, at the latest. This should be fun! I can’t wait to hear from you. (I am secretly hoping to hear from someone I don’t know, so if you are reading this and don’t know me, make my day and leave me a comment!)


5 comments:

Mom said...

I choose Sportsbra woman

no way said...

I choose the beehive.

And I have names like that for people at Bally's too-"Howard Stern," "The Latin lover," "The people who might be brother and sister or possibly husband and wife," and "The lady I think stole my wallet a few years ago." And we also have the "I think you might be anorexic lady" at our gym too. She's ALWAYS there-there's no way she has a job.

Keep up the good work-I try to check in as much as possible!

Jove said...

Yes, I would like to hear about the "My boobs are a weapon lady." Not having any myself, I'm curious how it works!

-Jove

Anonymous said...

Ok Kate! I choose Sunglasses guy. Does he really work out with sunglasses on? Can't possibly? Can't wait to hear what it will be!

Anonymous said...

I vote for "My boobs are a weapon lady..."