Friday, July 11, 2008

Let's Get This Party Started!


Ok, so here we go folks! It is Friday night and I am all packed for my very first triathlon! Here you can see all my "gear". Earlier today Elizabeth helped me lay it all out to make sure I had everything. I've got my Body Glide, the wonderful wetsuit, two sets of goggles, and the appropriate clothing to get me through the race with the least amount of pinching, rubbing or chaffing. My Dad has tuned, cleaned and checked out good ol' Goldie, my bike. I have talked to my sister a gazillion times on the phone checking and rechecking all plans of attack for the big day.

I started getting a little emotional today. Do you know I have been trying to learn how to swim in order to do a triathlon for over 5 years? I took my first lesson from the Westfield High School swimming coach when Elizabeth was only 2 months old. It was my first back in a swimming suit post baby. I didn't even know that I needed goggles to swim! The coach spent about 15 minutes with me, looking somewhat puzzled, not quite sure how to help me, before I gave up and got out of the pool. I could tell by the look on his face that he had no idea where to start with me.
That was the first of many times I went to my car and cried. I felt absolutely ridiculous and stupid for even trying to learn how to swim, when I obviously knew nothing about it, not even enough to know to bring a set of goggles. It felt even more ridiculous to be crying over swimming. Who cares? I did... a lot.

I went through 2 other adult swimming programs with little success. Finally, I checked out the book Total Immersion Swimming from the library and started up again. This January, I made it my goal to learn how to swim. With my handy purple binder in hand, I followed the given exercises and drills day in and day out, no matter how much I hated it, or felt like I sucked. And today when I went in to the Monon Center for my final swim before the race, I realized just how far I've come. There I was, swimming, breathing fine, feeling the water flow across and over my body and gasp....liking it!

I've joked that my goal on Sunday is to not drown. But here's the thing, I know I am going to be fine. I just do. I am totally ready. I may cry again when I get out of the water, but this time it will not be a result of total embarrassment, but from irrepressible elation.
Get ready ladies and gentlemen, The Brickhouse is coming to town! I may not be fast, but I am ready to kick some butt and probably cry when I'm done! I am still Kate Kneifel after all...

No comments: