Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Read at your own risk

Disclaimer: The following passage you are about to read contains perhaps inappropriate confessions regarding my own insecurities and narcissistic qualities. Read at your own risk, understanding that you may well find yourself angrily yelling at your computer screen, “Get a grip girl!”

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been toying with the idea of scraping the whole blog project and just closing up shop. I share this not as a means to dredge up more supportive comments from friends and family to “Keep at it,” but just truly as a confession that has been nagging at me mercilessly. For those Catholics out there, you can understand the freeing nature of a one on one acknowledgment regarding your short comings. As an active Catholic parishioner in college, I chose to give myself a confession session for my 21st birthday. What does that tell you? I bet therapists far and wide would have a hay day with that information, such an act on the eve of my legally permissible alcohol purchasing adulthood. I still remember Father Dan laying his warm dry palm over my bowed head and absolving me of my mistakes. Whether or not I needed the priest for the wave of peace that followed didn’t matter, I felt resolved.

I find that I am not sure just what the function of this blog is. Is it a place to practice writing prompts, a forum to appreciate the comings and goings of everyday life, another mommy blog, or just a place for a mediocre type of self promotion. “Hey, look what I noticed today? Aren’t I clever?” Originally, it served as a motivation for me to write each week, a goal to post something, anything, to the blog to just keep me plugging away.

And yet, now it feels like an excuse, a way to put off actually working hard on writing a piece to submit to a publication. I tell myself that I’ll work on something more next week, it’s Elizabeth’s birthday, the holidays, I don’t feel well, etc. I’ll just throw something up on the blog and put forth more effort later is what I tell myself. Unfortunately, “later”, as so often is the case, has yet to arrive and present me with a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates.
The reason isn’t complicated. It has everything to do with pride, fear and lack of follow through. I’ve started and stopped so many things in the last few years. I started a masters program in special education, only to find that perhaps that was my mom’s dream, not my own. I then went on to pursue a masters in social work. I found the classes inspiring, my brain on fire, neurons happily zipping across the barren dessert of my stay- at- home- mommy- mind, and yet a tiny nagging voice wondered if I loved school or the new professional field?

In the process of my own self discovery, and the various masters classes, I started writing, stretching past the daily journaling, to hopefully, something more substantial. As a result, this summer I decided to take a year off from the social work program and take a stab at writing, see what I could do with it in twelve months.

My confession is this, so far, this is it. Right here, this is what I’ve accomplished. I’ve blogged, entered one writing contest, taken a writing class, in which I didn’t finish my story, sat down and wrote a list of goals with Josh, and then crossed off only the “easy” ones.

I don’t know. I keep going through this crazy back and forth, wishing no one knew that I was even trying this, feeling so embarrassed, willing exposed by it all. Like a crabby night nurse with aching legs and swollen feet, the question, “What the hell am I doing?” makes the rounds of my consciousness quite a bit lately. And then there is the opposite desire, wanting so badly to push through it, kick the nurse in the skins and remember my own tendencies to throw temper tantrums when things get hard. To remember how easily I succumb to pity parties, in which I marinate myself in home-grown self-absorption and gain 3 pounds of anxiety weight.

So that’s where I am. I don’t quite feel resolved. I guess the blog is no Father Dan. I have to hope that the better side of me wins out, that I kick some shins, wrap up the party and get to work. But then again, I still have Christmas shopping to do…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't give up Kate!! This is just the first step.....

Jenny

Anonymous said...

I have said it before and I will say it one more time, "two speeds: high and off." I think your learning to write is just like life: it's a journey. You can fly down the road at 100 miles an hour and get where you are going pretty darn fast or crash in the process but you won't see much of the scenery. OR you can slow down, look at what surrounds you and get where you are headed ( or maybe somewhere even better) eventually.
Take "the road less traveled."

no way said...

Listen Kate, I am SO right with you. This week, I actually thought, "I am taking down the drawing blog. I never draw, and when I do, there are so many people who do it better than me. Why am I bothering?" I rarely get the chance to draw anything satisfying or on a large-scale, like something I might submit to a show. There's just no time, and the time I do have I have to use to do lesson plans, cook dinner, clean, pay attention to the kids, etc. It's stressful and sometimes sad.

On the other hand, the times I do get to draw, regardless of the size, quality, or subject matter are very calming. So I feel as though I am at a crossroads, like you. I think we have a lot in common, personality-wise, and creativity-wise. I also think it's hard to not know where you're going-as in, "what's the point of what I am doing here anyway?"

Unfortunately, I have no great advice, but I do hear you, loud and clear. And I guess I also think that writing and art make both of us happy, and as busy moms with lots of activity in our lives that it's good to have an outlet that satisfies our own personal interests, since we spend so much of our days making sure other people are happy.

Is this the longest blog post reply ever?

Hugs to you and the rest of your family. I wish you could just drop Kai off here for a few hours. Sean would explode from happiness.

PS-Wow! I love your mom's advice. She's awesome!

kennedykid said...

Becky-
Ok, so again for about the zillionith time...I wish you lived closer. Thank you so much for that. Of course you are right. It is so great to have you to bounce these things off of, as I know you totally get it. Hey, at least we still have NPR to keep our brains from turning to mush right?

I am so glad you are also keeping at it. You are so incredibly talented! We'll get there eventually huh?

Come see us soon here, the winter months drag on forever!!

ps- My mom will love it that you called her cool! (You see that mom? Ha!)