Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Booty Bounce

For the last several nights, Elizabeth, Kai and I have taken part in an after dinner dance contest. We pull up itunes on the computer and take turns throwing out new moves to the 30 seconds of any given song. Josh judges as he cleans up the kitchen. So far, Elizabeth has won each competition hands down. Josh and I exchanged more than a few raised eyebrows between each other as she danced, “Where did she learn to move like that?” Not from me… unfortunately. I love to dance. I am just not good at it.

Today, I tried a new health club that recently opened up near us called LA Fitness. After years at Cardinal, I thought it might be time for a change. This club offers classes. I decided to try Cardio Kickboxing. The very cute and Barbie-like instructor asked us at the beginning of the class if anyone did not have any dancing background. “Even taking classes as a kid counts, just something. “ I was the only one to raise my hand. “Ok, that’s fine, “she assured me with a flash of gleaming white teeth, “I just need to know who I am dealing with today.”

A friend of mine used to teach Step at one of the clubs I belonged to. She used to joke, “I know if Kate can follow my queues, than anyone can.” Ouch. But it was true. I used to mouth the counts out along with her so I wouldn’t mess up. At least I made the other self-proclaimed uncoordinated women feel better. This is why I run and bike people, no choreography needed.

This instructor, I think her name was Alyssa, was so good though! She broke down all the moves for us first, gave out high fives when we finally got it right, and encouraged us to part-take in the optional “booty-bounce” move. She looked very MTV-ish doing it, me, I looked like an idiot. And yet, I didn’t care. It was fun. I laughed and tried it anyway. The instructor with her careful directions, good music, and upbeat attitude made my day. I’ve often wished my mom had forced me to take dance lessons. According to her, she asked me a few times about lessons and I refused. Now I am wondering if it is too late to try as an adult.

In any case, Elizabeth will want to compete again tonight I’m sure. Little does she know that her mom just learned a new move from Miss Alyssa! I am sure the “booty-bounce” will get me a few extra points with the judge, or at the very least a raised eyebrow.

No comments: