Wednesday, November 5, 2008

33 and feelin' free!

In my 5 year old daughter’s eyes, she is thrilled that Obama won this election simply because that is who her parents voted for this year. Today is my birthday. Elizabeth climbed into bed with me early this morning for a birthday snuggle. After sharing with her that Obama won last night, I asked her, “Elizabeth, do you know why this is such a big deal?” She shrugged, thinking we'd take part in more birthday talk this morning instead of politics.

I shared with her that Barack Obama is the very first African American man to be elected as our president. She tried her best to muster up some enthusiasm in response to this announcement. What my daughter fails to understand is what inflates me with a bursting sense of hope for the future. In Elizabeth's brightly colored kindergarten world, I might as well have said, “He is the first man who wears purple socks to be elected president,” and the impact would remain the same.

Today I turned 33. My Dad called this morning to wish me a Happy Birthday, talk about the Election Day news and remind me that I was born on Election Day in 1975. As far as I am concerned, the results of this race this year is the best birthday gift that I can imagine. My children, Elizabeth and Kai, will know a different world, just as I know a world entirely different from the one I was born into 33 years ago.

Last night, while watching the numbers roll in, tears streamed down my face and when I finally saw Barack and Michelle Obama walk out to greet the huge crowd at Grant Park with their two little girls in tow, I thanked God for the opportunity to witness this historical moment from my family room.

I leave with my sister this Friday for our cruise in the Bahamas. We’ll meet Erin and Kristin from the Manic Mommies podcast and hopefully make a few new friends on this trip. I am just so grateful that the election occurred before this trip, as I don’t think I would really be able to relax otherwise.

A half a day into my 33rd year, and I have to say, it is looking pretty darned good from where I stand.