Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Valentine's Day Mania

Who knew Valentine's Day was such a big deal? I guess I should considering I work for a greeting card company! But I really didn't have any idea, that is, until these past two weeks!

Normally I work about 12-24 hours a week. Last week I worked 35 just in the first 3 days. So, I have fallen behind on getting anything ready to post.

But I will share just one moment from last weekend. I went out for a run/walk early on Sunday morning before work. I noticed a man in his sixties kicking the rolled newspaper down his driveway. He'd take a few steps, give it a gentle kick, take another few steps towards it and then kicked it again. "What is this guy doing?" I wondered. He didn't notice me staring because his gaze remained on the paper.

Finally, the paper reached his mailbox, where he placed his hand on the box and leaned on it so he could bend over to pick up the paper.

Ah, so that was it. He wasn't able to bend over without support. How much easier would it be for this guy is the delivery person just put it in the newspaper holder under the mailbox?

But before I understood why he was kicking the paper, his actions completely puzzled me. I felt that was an appropriate lesson for the day. Even when I think people may be acting irrationally, there is often more to the story that explains what is really going on. If I can slow down and take the time to watch and listen, often the story reveals itself fairly quickly.

Now, if someone could just explain the rest of the story for the guy who stopped me in my Target store the other day and asked, "Do you have cards for Mistresses?"

After he left the women shopping next to me said, "Did that man really just ask you what I think he asked you?"

"Yup, he sure did."

1 comment:

Amanda Lynch said...

That is too funny! I was so glad to see a new post! Thanks.
Amanda