Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Dr. Dream-Come-True?

This past Monday I tried another doctor regarding my knee and feet pain. The foot pain resulted from a wake boarding crash this summer, but the knee pain I’ve dealt with on and off for awhile now. Anyway, some of you may remember my entry a few weeks ago about the doctor who seemed to believe that I was just a silly girl that should just go for nice walks admiring my neighbors’ finely manicured lawns, instead of training for athletic events.

What I said in that post was that I just wanted a doctor to take me seriously as a female athlete and work with me to see what could be done. So, I almost slid right off my chair when Dr. Helms, a runner himself, looked at me after much discussion and actively listening and examining and said, “We’ll get you there. It may take a multi-faceted approach, but we’ll get you there.”

So there you have it. I am amazed at the different opinions you can receive from doctors. My mom has always told us that you have to be your own advocate when you do to the doctor. I am so glad that I didn’t just throw in the towel. A friend of mine from Cardinal suggested this doctor. I told her, “Kim, if this guy can help me, I am taking you out to dinner to celebrate.” I feel pretty optimistic that I’ll have to ante up on that offer.

No comments: