Friday, September 12, 2008

Working my way through the list

I’ve always wanted to go on an “all girls” vacation, to hop in the car with a few of my girlfriends and take off for a road trip to somewhere. I picture myself leaned back in a convertible, my hair whipping across my face, allowing all responsibilities to sail across the open country road, dancing in the wind, set free from the confines of my mind.

I included such an event on my Oprah-inspired “Life List”. I created the list several years ago after the birth of my daughter. After about 5 weeks of sleepless nights, failed breast feeding attempts and an extra 15 pounds to shed, my world felt about as expansive as a Geo Metro. Compiling the list allowed me to spend time perched on an imaginary window seat looking out upon the future as series of adventures. It took me awhile to get started, but after I got rolling, the ideas tumbled out like shiny swirled marbles. I kept the list taped to my bathroom mirror for a few months. Eventually it grew tattered and worn, so I took it down to stow it safely away somewhere. Today, I have no idea where it is.

Still, as a result of my list, I’ve gone to hear one of my favorite authors, Maya Angelou speak in Chicago. I sat in the audience of the Oprah show. My sister and I secured seats in the fourth row up from the stage while she interviewed Donald Trump about the first season of The Apprentice. I must confess here, there is something about seeing Donald Trump up close and in person. I am not a Trump fan, and yet he came across and very charming and handsome. Yes, I said handsome, I don’t know, it surprised me too, the hair doesn’t seem so bad in person. Who knew? During the taping of that same show, Oprah looked up and winked at me during a commercial break. I think she must have found my utter delight a bit amusing. I actually got a little too worked up that day, and found myself with a massive migraine on our way back home. “Kate,” my sister said bewildered, “Why would you have gotten a migraine from going to the show.”
“I think it was because I was so excited,” I explained, “I don’t think I was breathing much.”

This Novermber, I will cross “take an all girl vacation” off my list as well. My sister and I are going on the The Manic Mommies Escape 08. We both listen to the podcast called, Manic Mommies. It is a show created by two full time working moms, Erin and Kristin. They recount their lives as they try to , “DO-IT-ALL”. They have created quite the community of listeners with the help of networking sites like Big Tent. (all new to me). So, a bunch of the listeners are planning to “escape” motherhood for a bit, on this trip, which just happens to be a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas right after my 33rd birthday.

I have never met Erin or Kristin, nor have I met any of these other listeners. I have a tendency to day dream about meeting new people and instantly making a new best friend, the way kids seem to do with such ease. Although, in my defense, this sort of instant friendship has happened twice in my life, I met one of my best friends Veronica the day I moved into the dorm at IU. I helped her change a light bulb in her halogen light, and we’ve been great friends since. The summer before college, after some dreadful entrance exam scores in math, I was required to attend “Math Camp” at the University of Illinois. I failed the camp, but my roommate from those two weeks and I are still friends. She managed to pass despite the bad roommate luck.
In this case, I see myself and my new friends, years later sitting around at some “reunion” laughing, “Do you remember when we met on that Manic Mommy cruise? Yeah, and you had just told that waiter that he had a sesame seed struck between his front teeth? And he told you he normally carries a toothpick in his apron but ran out of them yesterday?” Hardy har-har.

I’ve booked the flight to Miami in November. Before I know it, Jenny and I will board a cruise ship with several other women that I have never met before to sail to the Bahamas for a little RR, leaving the husbands and the kids at home to fend for themselves. I cannot imagine a better way to celebrate my 33rd birthday. I have to admit, I sort of pictured a car and a few more ladies that I actually knew beforehand, on my “girls only” trip. Regardless, I will cross another adventure off the list. I am still several steps away from my life feeling boring, predictable and constricted. No Geo Metros here, bring on the cruise ship, I’m ready to have enough fun to fill that baby up!

3 comments:

Jen D said...

I found your blog a few days ago and wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your writing! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

We will be instant BFFs. I just know it!

Abby said...

You go girl! One thing I really admire about you is setting goals and doing it. (Do you remember our New Year Resolution lists?) You are going to have a blast!