Sunday, August 24, 2008

My sister




I miss my sister. She’s been on vacation for the past week and it seems like a month has passed since I’ve talked to her. Apparently, the lodge in Minnesota she is staying in does not get cell phone reception, as I’ve called her about 3 times now and so far, nothing. I sort of feel a little bit like a stalker.

If no time limit existed on cell phone messages, the following would be the message I would leave for my sister:

Hey, it’s me. Where ARE you? I have big news to tell you and you are not answering your phone. Like, I went to Target a few days ago and found the cutest jewel toned purple shoes, and they were on sale for 17.99 and my orthotics fit in them, which means they will be great for work. Or how about I am still feeling sad about Elizabeth going to school, it makes me feel somewhat pathetic and cliche. I promise not to go on vacation when Owen starts kindergarten next week. Although, I know he will only be gone a half a day, so maybe you will be fine. But even if you are not, I promise to be incredibly emphatic. Oh, and I had to figure out a bunch of questions about work on my own, since I cannot reach you by phone. Do you really have no reception? …We bought some new furniture and are thinking of doing some painting and I have no idea where to start? What is that color your dining room again? I think I may do that. Is it elephant? And I joined a writing group and signed up for my first workshop. Seriously Jenny, I am scared to death I am going to get there and just totally suck. I need you to tell me I can do it, that it will be fine. GEEZ! Get home already. I miss you. Call me when you get this. Hope you are having fun. Bye.

When I was little I wanted a little brother or sister more than anything in the world. My sister and I are almost 5 years apart, and when you are young, 5 years translates into eons. I wanted another sibling for a companion and friend, someone to be in cahoots with, and just maybe someone for me to boss around.

My sister, who lives one state away from me, has been gone for just one week. I wish I knew as a little girl just how close Jenny and I would be in today, that I would feel so annoyed by the total lack of communication for 7 days. She is easily my best friend, what every parent hopes for during those pre-dinner hours when their children start to tear into each other. They say that your relationship you’re your siblings will serve as the most significant relationship of your life. As siblings you will most likely outlive your parents, and you’ve been together before spouses. For me, she is my necessity, my item to take with me in a deserted island, the person who isn’t afraid to tell me when I am full of crap or hold my head up when I would rather hide in bed.

I am pretty lucky. I may have not known it when I was little, but I sure got a good one as far as big sisters are concerned. Which reminds me, she better call soon. Vacation’s over.

No comments: