Sunday, October 17, 2010

ICAN Update

I mentioned in a previous post that I am participating in a volunteer training course for service dogs. The organization is called ICAN, http://www.icandog.org/help/volunteer.htm.  We are now down to the final two classes for the training.  This Monday night we will meet at the mall downtown to practice training the dogs out in public.  I am nervous and excited about it.  Each time we work with these dogs I feel like I am managing a superstar or something.  These dogs have been through a few years of training and could probably recite Shakespeare while juggling apples, at least that is what it feels like when you are with them.  Last week I missed one of the required trainings since Kai decided to swallow a quarter right before my class.  I took him to the emergency room instead.  That is a story for another post).  Luckily, the head trainer for ICAN was willing to call me on his lunch break to go over the material, so I can still finish the certification.

What stuns me the most about this training is how awed I feel about these dogs.  They seem to posses super canine powers or something.  I know that I am working with a dog that will literally change a person’s life.  I feel so incredibly privileged to be able to work with them.  We were told that as soon as we finished our certification we would most likely get a call to see if we could furlough a dog.  A furrlough lasts for 2-3 weeks.  During that time, you continue their training out in the community.  

My fingers are crossed that I’ll get a call at the end of October.  I want to be sure I can practice all I’ve learned and not forget it.  You can be sure I’ll post a picture of the first dog that stays with us.  It has been such a fun adventure. 

No comments: